On March 25, 2020, the Department of Labor (“DOL”) released a Workplace Poster for employers regarding COVID-19 and the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (“FFCRA” or “the Act”). Pursuant to the FFCRA, employers must post a notice to employees informing them of their rights under the Act. The poster can be found online at: https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/posters/FFCRA_Poster_WH1422_Non-Federal.pdf
Other important updates released by the DOL regarding the FFCRA:
- The effective date of the FFCRA is April 1, 2020.
Small Business Exemption (“Exemption”):
- The Exemption is available for businesses with fewer than 50 employees when providing child-care related paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave would jeopardize the viability of the business as a going concern.
- To elect the Exemption, the DOL recommends:
- You document why your business with fewer than 50 employees meets the criteria set forth by the DOL, which will be addressed in more detail in forthcoming regulations.
- You should not send any materials to the DOL when seeking the Exemption.
The DOL has released additional guidance on the FFCRA, both for employers and employees, including information on calculating hours for part-time workers for purposes of paid sick leave, calculation of hours when an employee usually works overtime, and calculating whether an employee has been employed for at least 30 calendar days. This information, and other guidance, can be found at: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic
We will provide additional updates on the FFCRA as they occur, and on Phase III legislation, which is expected to be enacted in the coming days. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office.
About Neel, Hooper & Banes, P.C.
The attorneys at Neel, Hooper & Banes, P.C. are the management-side labor & employment lawyers in Houston Texas you need to represent your company. Neel, Hooper & Banes, P.C. provides both legal representation and legal guidance to all Texas employers and nationwide to government contractors that are dealing with federal, state, local employment laws, and compliance issues.
Neel, Hooper & Banes, P.C.
Management Side Labor & Employment Lawyers, Government Contract Attorneys
1800 West Loop South, Ste.1750
Phone: (713) 629-1800
Fax: (713) 629-1812
Monday 8 AM–5 PM
Tuesday 8 AM–5 PM
Wednesday 8 AM–5 PM
Thursday 8 AM–5 PM
Friday 8 AM–5 PM
Proudly Serving Businesses in
- the Houston Texas area. Labor and Employment Attorenys for Management Side Labor And Employment matters.
- the State Of Texas. Management Side Labor And Employment Lawywers for Management Side Labor And Employment matters.
- the United States and beyond. Government Contract Attorneys for Government Contracting related issues.
Legal Services We Provide
- Management Side Labor And Employment Law
- Government Contracting Attorneys
Contact The Neel, Hooper and Banes Labor and Employment Law Firm In Houston Texas
If you are interested in speaking with a labor and employment attorney from the Neel Hooper & Banes Law Firm about your case, please fill out this form as completely as possible. In the “comments” area, please give us as many details as possible so as to allow us to refer this matter to the appropriate attorney. Please note that submitting this contact form does not imply the creation of an attorney-client relationship.